I love pizza! I love it so much that I feel making that claim doesn’t come close to accurately representing my feelings toward this italian masterpiece. Lucky for me my husband feels equally strong about pizza and thus it’s a go to meal in our house. What’s not to love about bread covered in sauce and cheese? NADA!
Obviously repeatedly ordering in is costly and not friendly to the ol’ waistline, so why not opt to make a healthier version at home? My friend and I recently had a pizza party where she provided the homemade (whole wheat) dough and I provided the toppings, cheese etc. This time around I wanted to try something new in support of consuming less processed foods in my diet. Instead of buying pre-made pizza sauce I found an incredible recipe online, altered it a little and cooked it from scratch. The result? An aromatic, mouth-watering sauce perfect for pizza and pasta alike. What’s more, it’s pizza you can eat and feel good about.
See below for the recipe and a few pictures demonstrating the process
What you’ll need
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
2 lb. peeled, seeded and chopped roma tomatoes
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- Prep sauce ingredients (peel, chop, mince etc.) For tips on the best way to seed and peel tomatoes check out theshiksa.com
- In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and parsley and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in garlic, basil and oregano and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes and stir until ingredients are well combined. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until tomatoes have cooked down.
- Stir in salt and pepper. Add sugar and vinegar to taste.
- Cool to room temperature. Purée with immersion blender or food processor.
Macaroni & CheeseJanuary 27th, 2014
Roasted Red Kuri & Coconut SoupJanuary 20th, 2014
Creamy Pumpkin PastaNovember 25th, 2013
Pizza PartyNovember 11th, 2013
Apple Butternut Squash Soup w/Homemade Sourdough CroutonsOctober 14th, 2013