Holiday Baking: Peanut Butter Blossoms
I know these cookies don’t necessarily fall into the holiday baking category, but they’re always included in my Christmas treat repertoire. For as long as I can remember my grandmother took control of the festive baking the moment December hit, being sure to make enough for my family and my Uncle’s family. Everyone in our clan seems to have their own favourite too, be it Peanut Butter Balls (James), Marshmallow Squares (Jared) or Peanut Butter Blossoms (Me). No matter the time or effort required she made each favourite treat and many more with, in her own words, “loads of love.”
A few Christmas’ ago my grandmother gave me the most special gift—a handwritten journal filled with our favourite family recipes. It took her a year to put together and transcribe and it’s my go to when cooking or baking almost anything. It’s most definitely one of my most prized possessions. In recent years my mother and I have taken over the baking reigns and though the sweets are tasty, nothing can compete with Grammie Ruby’s baking.
If you’d like to try my favourite holiday treat, see below for her recipe.
What You’ll Need
1/2 cup of butter (unsalted, soft room temperature)
1/3 cup peanut butter (smooth)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 unbeaten egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 cups of flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Mix flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Thoroughly cream together butter, peanut butter, white sugar, brown sugar, egg and vanilla.
- Blend in dry ingredients gradually and mix thoroughly.
- Shape dough into balls. Roll balls through sugar and place on lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and top each cookie with a chocolate rosebud, pressing firmly so that the cookie cracks around edges.
- Return to oven for an additional 2-5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes on baking sheet. Transfer to wire rack for additional cooling. Store or freeze in airtight container.
Chocolate Dipped Coconut Rum PopsiclesJune 2nd, 2014
Chocolate Covered Strawberry HeartsFebruary 10th, 2014
No Bake Oreo CheesecakeFebruary 3rd, 2014
Holiday Baking: Peanut Butter BlossomsDecember 16th, 2013
Cranberry White Chocolate Coffee CakeDecember 2nd, 2013