It’s a new year and time to get back to the grind. In an attempt to clean out some of the many holiday treats I indulged in, I’ve been cutting out some of my morning calories by having a protein smoothie for breakfast. It’s quick and easy and takes just a few key ingredients. My favourite combination of flavours creates what my husband and I call a Chocolate Monkey— a little unsweetened cocoa and banana goes a long way. Don’t like chocolate and bananas? I’m not sure that’s possible, but no matter your taste you can easily sub out the cocoa and banana and sub in any other fruit of your choosing. It’s fun to experiment because the same thing day after day can become incredibly boring. See below for the key ingredients I use every morning in my smoothie.
What’s your favourite kind of smoothie?
What you’ll need
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 4-5 ice cubes
- 1/2 banana (I freeze my bananas first)
- 1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa
- agave syrup (a little goes a long way)
- 1 tbsp. ground flax or chia seeds (I use a mixture that contains both)
- protein powder (I use vegan protein powder with no artificial sweeteners or preservatives)
- *spinach (not shown in smoothie pictured but it’s an easy way to sneak in a vegetable serving as spinach is mostly tasteless and aside from affecting the drinks colour you won’t notice it)
Tip: For a smoothie with a thicker consistency add more ice and reduce water. To increase creaminess, add a little natural flavoured greek yogurt.
Chocolate MonkeyJanuary 13th, 2014
Nutella Hot Chocolate With Frozen Whipped CreamDecember 9th, 2013