Apple Butternut Squash Soup w/Homemade Sourdough Croutons
A crisp fall day calls for the comfort of homemade soup and last week the weather indicated just that. I’m not a soup fanatic but my husband really likes it so I’m always looking to try new flavours and combinations. This recipe is incredibly delicious, is relatively simple to make and is easy on the waistline. In all honesty prepping the vegetables is what eats up most of your time, but if you’re in a bind you can sometimes purchase already cubed butternut squash. I always opt for doing the grunt work because mentally I feel like the meal will taste fresher.
Living in Canada we truly get to experience each and every season, though I wouldn’t mind if winter wanted to drop off my radar. Fall is by far my favourite season and what better way to enjoy it then by eating what’s currently being harvested. Also, stay tuned because throughout the month I’ll be sharing a few of my top recipes that feature vegetables from the squash family and other seasonal ingredients.
To view snapshots of the soup making process check out the slideshow below. For those who decide to try this recipe I’d love to hear or see your results, so feel free to comment below or tag me in a finished product photo on Facebook.
What You’ll Need
Apple Butternut Squash Soup
2 medium butternut squash- seeded, peeled and cubed
1 large apple- seeded, peeled and cubed
1 large yellow onion- chopped
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp packed brown sugar
¾ tsp salt
¾ tsp ground cinnamon
⅛ tsp pepper
3 cups chicken broth
¾ cup milk
¾ cup sour cream
2 slices of day old sourdough bread
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
pinch of garlic powder
- Prep vegetables. Seed, peel and cube the butternut squash and apple, and chop onion. Dice garlic.
- In Dutch oven, sauté garlic in olive oil over medium heat until fragrant (around 3 minutes). Add onion and continue sautéing until onion begins to soften (around 5 minutes).
- Add in squash, apple, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and pepper. Add broth and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender (around 20 minutes).
- In food processor, blend mixture in thirds until smooth (or an immersion blender if you have one).
- Return to Dutch oven and stir in milk and sour cream. Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally until thoroughly heated.
- Ladle into bowls and dress with sour cream drizzle and homemade croutons.
Sourdough Croutons Instructions
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cube two pieces of day old sourdough bread. Season with a pinch of salt, pepper and garlic powder. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and mix well.
- Spread evenly onto tinfoil lined baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes.
Macaroni & CheeseJanuary 27th, 2014
Roasted Red Kuri & Coconut SoupJanuary 20th, 2014
Creamy Pumpkin PastaNovember 25th, 2013
Pizza PartyNovember 11th, 2013
Apple Butternut Squash Soup w/Homemade Sourdough CroutonsOctober 14th, 2013